The push notifications app, Boxcar, was updated again this week. The update adds push notifications from the following services:
- Location based social services Gowalla and Foursquare
- Social news website: Reddit with either public or accounts settings
- Specific twitter username. See if you can add @saudimac in Boxcar and receive notifications immediately on your device
Boxcar 4.1 also addresses the following issues/bugfixes:
- Dismiss the browser if we find ourselves redirecting to a URL that is outside of the application.
- Resolve missing back button if opening to a browser view sequentially.
- Character count positioning for iPad.
- Properly display error messages to users when services fail to save because of validation issues.
- Make sure ‘Open in Safari’ actually opens Safari.
- Consistent positioning of Instructions and Help button among services.
- Adjusted numberOfLines in show message view to prevent odd word-wrapping.
- No longer using a modal dialog for remote providers (Github).
- Accessibility enhancements.
- Slide to View and “Client not installed” fixes for providers and Growl.
- Twitter Shoutouts.
- Disabling ads now works correctly.
- Don’t display error messages in a UIAlertView, for UIWebViews.
- Instapaper crash (nil password).
- Facebook permissions.
- Refresh arrows were backwards.
- Quiet time label is refreshed properly after saving.
And finally the update adds the following features:
- Ability to re-order services on the grid.
- Ability to delete messages.
- Show the provider / service name in the messages index.
- Remove the total message count from the messages index.
- Add Twitter Follow provider. Instant notifications anytime someone tweets.
- Add ability to follow people back from within Boxcar.
- Link twitter list names when viewing a message.
- Replace plcrashreporter with Hoptoad for better/easier to deal with crash reporting.
- Prompt the user for an app store review after 5 days of usage.
- When logging out, actually log the user out and stop delivering messages to that device.
- Add text treatment to help identify the type of message.
- Rewrite replies.
- Load the users inbox (and clear any badges) in the background after redirecting the user to another application.
Boxcar is a free app but you can pay $4.99 with an in-app-purchase to disable ads. Boxcar is a universal app that runs on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
Arabic version of this post on SaudiMac Arabic Edition.
Remember to visit We Want Apple Saudi Arabia petition and spread the word.