FaceTime is not available on Middle Eastern carriers
Yesterday Apple updated their Locating iPhone wireless carriers support page to include a small note regarding FaceTime for Middle Eastern countries. Note number 4 says that FaceTime is not available on this carrier.
The countries listed without FaceTime are:
- Saudi Arabia (mobily) – affected model numbers are MC603AE and MC605AE
- United Arab Emirates (Du and Etisalat) – affected model numbers are MC603AE and MC605AE
- Qatar (Vodafone) – affected model numbers are MC603AE and MC605AE
- Egypt (Mobinil and Vodafone) – affected model numbers are MC603AB and MC605AB
- Jordan (Orange) – we assume that the affected model numbers will be MC603AB and MC605AB
Tunisia is missing from the list, also Tunisia’s iPhone page does list FaceTime as a feature.
Remember we are talking about iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 or later. FaceTime is working on iOS 4.0.2.
What can we do?
• Import your own iPhone 4. iPhone 4 models sold from every other country have FaceTime enabled and you could try to order from the UK Apple Store and ship using Aramex. Just avoid scalpers that are taking advantage and raised the iPhone 4 prices again.
• If you bought an iPhone 4 from any of these Middle Eastern carriers then return the iPhone 4 and ask for a refund.
• Contact this lawyer.
• Fill this feedback form on Apple’s site
• Send an email to Apple’s CEO, Steve Jobs. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Arabic version of this post on SaudiMac Arabic Edition.